Tula State Lev Tolstoy Pedagogical University was founded on 19 September, 1938 as an independent institution of higher education. 18 July 1958 it was named after Lev Tolstoy. 29 December 1994 the university was awarded the status of State Pedagogical University.
In 2009, the university became a laureate of the contest «Gold Medal «European Quality» in the «Top 100 universities in Russia» category and won in the category «Best Russian Specialized University».
In 2009, Tula State Lev Tolstoy Pedagogical University signed the Magna Charta of Universities at the University of Bologna (Italy).
In 2012, the university was included in the National Register of the «Leading scientific organizations of Russia».
At present, there are 10 faculties at Tula State Lev Tolstoy Pedagogical University, 138 basic educational programs of higher education, 24 specialties and postgraduate programs, 3 doctoral programs of 10 branches of science. The university provides a wide range of programs of additional education and training.
The university infrastructure includes six academic buildings with well-equipped current technology. There are ten faculties. They are Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Information Technology, Faculty of Technology and Business, Faculty of Foreign Languages, Faculty of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, Faculty of Psychology, International Faculty, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Faculty of Physical Culture, Faculty of Russian Philology and Documentation and Faculty of History and Law.
All academic buildings are equipped with a local area network, computer, language labs and multimedia classrooms and are provided with the resource access to the research library. The university has put in place all the necessary arrangements for successful learning and self-development of students.
Responsible for the enrollment of foreign students is Kashpireva Tatiana Borisovna, a dean of the International faculty. Tel.: 8-(4872)-33-16-93; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Address: 300026, prospekt Lenina, 125, building № 4, Tula, Russia, office 341.